Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Rhubarb Jam and the Joys of Math

We recently used up the last of our rhubarb jam from last year . . .


. . . so Anna and I decided to make more with stalks from our big rhubarb plant.  I think Anna's wrinkling her nose because rhubarb is so different from most other produce we cook with, and we use it so rarely that we haven't gotten used to it yet.  It smells like nutmeg, tastes like tart apples soaked in lemon juice, and feels like chewing a peach.  That may sound like a strange combination . . .


. . . but it sure makes yummy jam.  We especially like putting it on pancakes with some whipped cream.  It's like having strawberry shortcake for brunch any season of the year. :)


While Anna and I were preserving some rhubarby goodness in the kitchen, the boys were watching Joy review for her math exams.  As a humanities major, I don't really relate to people who find math entertaining, but I suppose there are lots of folks who would think I'm weird for cutting up a plant in my yard, boiling it with sugar and Jello, then putting it on my pancakes.  We all have our quirks.

No comments: