Monday, December 28, 2020

The Birthday Inferno

 Joy delivered my Christmas present today: 


She had given me a coupon for one mopped floor, and I happily cashed that in this morning.  It felt like a holiday.  And in a way it is, because this is Daddy's birthday!  He requested steak for dinner . . .


. . . so I headed to the grocery store and asked the butcher for steak recommendations (he suggested New York strip steaks, which I think was a good call).  I also asked him how we ought to cook them, since we don't make steak often, and we wanted to get it right.


Here's a picture of Joy and the birthday boy grilling our steaks.  I won't show you a picture of the finished product because . . . it's just too sad.  The butcher told me how long to cook the steaks, but he didn't say how hot.  Phillip said the grill got up to 700 degrees, and Joy recalls seeing the steaks engulfed in 12" flames at one point.  I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

At least the roasted potatoes and lemon pie turned out well, but in fairness, I've gone through a lot of trial and error to get them that good.  I'm sure we'll try steaks again too (and do a bit more research first!).

Happy birthday, Daddy!  Thanks for being there for me when I need you, and for being so committed to God and our family!  We love you!

(UPDATE: I found a couple New York strip steaks on sale a few days later, so Daddy and I had a friendly cooking competition that night.  I cooked one steak using the stove and oven while he cooked the other on the grill, then our family tried some of each steak with dinner to see which version we liked better.  Both turned out well, but we agreed that Daddy's was the best.  Second time's a charm!)

No comments: