Monday, October 27, 2008

more large companies oppose Prop 8...

I recently read the following article documenting Apple's $100,000 contribution to the No on Prop 8 campaign, and simultaneously mentioning that Google has also come out in opposition to Prop 8. Lots of other big companies have made contributions to the opposing campaign...these are just the latest to do so.

They don't look at Prop 8 as a political issue. Neither do I (it's a moral issue) - but it makes me sorry that I'm enabling these companies to make contributions to a campaign I'm morally opposed to by doing business with them. While it's true that their contributions are probably a small percentage of their income stream, it's also true that my vote on Prop 8 will be a tiny percentage of the total number of votes cast on November 4th. The point is that I'm making my voice heard, just as these companies also are (regardless of whether their employees agree or not).

I'm tempted to stop doing business with them. I was thinking about asking for an iPhone for Christmas...don't think that's going to happen. Maybe I should also cancel my gmail account and stop using Google's search engine. It would be my way of telling these companies that I will not continue helping them come out in opposition to such important moral issues (I'm sure there will be others in the lifetime of these companies).

I don't know - am I being extreme in this thought? What do you think I should do?

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I have the same moral dilemma with Ben & Jerry's. Like you, I think that my contribution to them is so little, but do I feel the same way about my vote? I don't know if there is a black and white answer. It's really sad, though, that it seems like the whole world is working against us sometimes.

Alissa said...

if you decide to stop taking your business to them , i say "bravo" for taking a stand! also i really admire all that the two of you have been doing to raise awareness about the proposition. if i still lived in california, i'd like to think that i would have the guts to do the same.

Kerri said...

It is a great stand to take, and I would understand your desire to do it. I am not so inclined to go to such lengths. I would not be surprised if almost every product I use and love has done something that might seem offensive to me (look at advertising methods or publications that the companies pay to advertise with). It seems like a huge uphill battle if you start boycotting products from companies that may give money to places that are not to your liking.

I am sure there are also many employees of these companies that do not support all the decisions the company makes as a whole. You would be punishing them as well. I know I have worked for companies that have done things that I did not necessarily approve of (i.e. paying for an open bar at a company event), but I felt that overall, the company contributed positively to society. As for Apple and Google, I think they are amazing companies that have progressed technology in ways that need to be applauded. By boycotting them, I would probably have to find another company that has basically just copied their brilliance.

Liesl said...

As a teacher, I belong to the California teacher's union. The same one that donated $250,000 to No on 8 during the summer, and the same one that just donated $1,000,000 just last week. I want to pull out of the union completely, but I have been advised not to for many reasons. But some of my money that I am forced to pay went to that union. That makes me upset! So, I know what you are saying...

T.J. Shelby said...

Hard internal decision. I would have to agree with Kerri's comments. But if you did boycott, you may want to do so as a part of a whole. Get a petition started, get a group together who are of the same opinion and decision as you.

You should send a letter to the corporate office explaining your position why your entire group will be boycotting and also encouraging friends and family to boycott.

Otherwise, to be frank, unless it hits them in the sales department...they won't care. They have to see how this decision will cost them more money lost to current and prospective customers (yes on 8 campaigners) than money gained from new customers (no on 8 campaigners).

Or you can just let it be a decision of conscience and not care about the overall consequences.