Friday, October 3, 2008

A Lesson Learned at Class

Joy and I have started attending a free "class" offered by a local community college. Their catalog calls it a parenting class, but it's a actually a glorified playgroup with a brief discussion for the grown-ups toward the end.

The kids can paint and do crafts . . .

. . . play with the toys and the other kids . . .

. . . and enjoy a tasty snack after song time.

The adult discussion is offered two weeks in a row, so the parents who hear it the first week can watch everybody else's kids the second week (or vice versa).

The class has been good for both Joy and me. I enjoy the adult interaction, and it's nice to have fun, social activities for my daughter that I don't have to think up or pay for. As for Joy, she is starting to find the songs more engaging, and I think it is good for her to interact with other kids more.

Perhaps the most important thing we've both learned so far is that Joy can be more self-reliant than either of us suspected. Ever since she began walking, I've been next to her like a shadow to help her out and make sure she didn't fall off of anything. For her part, Joy had become very clingy, always wanting me with her wherever she went.

During discussion time, though, I started telling Joy that I needed to sit there a while and that she was free to stay with me or go play. Of course she eventually left to play (with me keeping an eye on her from a distance), and we both discovered that she would be just fine. What's more, some things I had always helped her with and assumed she couldn't do on her own (like going down a slide unassisted) she has quickly mastered now that I'm not doing everything for her.

Of course, I still make sure to spend time playing with her and we have lots of fun together, but I think it's good for both of us that she is starting to play and try new things on her own, too.

3 comments:

Kerri said...

I am impressed Joy went down that slide on her own! In our experience, it has quite of a fall at the end which actually has launched my boys quite a bit!

How fun! We never made it to those classes, but I have always thought they seemed like a great idea.

Jodi Jean said...

what a fun experience for you both!

it's great to learn they can do things on their own. we have a playgroup that meets at the park once a week. i love sitting in he shade on a blanket chatting and catching up with my friends while aidan and the other munchkins play on the slide, in the sand (aidan eats it), etc. he has gone down the slide on his own ever since he could walk ... robby says i'm not a nurturer ... he has to learn to do it by himself sometime, right?

Jill Walker said...

It's amazing what we can keep our kids from doing on their own just because we love them so much and don't want to see them get hurt? How I would do things so different if I could do it all over again. Oh well, I guess my kids all turned out okay even thought I didn't know what I was doing especially with Christine.