Friday, June 2, 2023

The Empty Box

I spy someone peeking out of our melon box.


Mary: Are the rumors true?
Did they finally finish building the tractor?


Abby: I sure hope so,
because I'm really tired of living in this box.


Yes, chickies, it's finally ready.
We replaced the little wheels with much bigger ones,
rolled the tractor out onto the lawn . . .


. . . then added shavings, your feeder,
and your water dispenser
so you could move into your new coop.


I'm so glad we were able to move our growing girls outside
to a tractor that will be spacious and safe,
and allow them to eat nourishing plants and bugs 
to their little hearts' content . . .


. . . but part of me is a little sad 
that the stinky watermelon box in our living room
has suddenly gone dark and silent.
It was kind of fun to hear curious little chicken voices
every time we passed through that room.
I didn't expect to miss our little chicks so much
when they left the nest.

No comments: