Thursday, June 29, 2023

Riding and Painting

It's nice to have a break from school in summer,
but Joy doesn't want to spend her whole vacation lounging around.
She plans to work on some goals, too . . .


. . . such as improving her painting skills.


I like her rendering of our parakeet Tia on the left under the flower,
and I'm impressed that Joy could create such nuanced facial expressions
with just a cheap little paintbrush.


She also decided to practice motorcycle riding this morning.
After a few lessons with Daddy, she feels confident enough
to venture out on her own . . .


. . . but I said an extra prayer or two 
as I watched my (grown up) baby ride off into the unknown.
I knew she'd probably be fine, and she was,
but one of the challenges of parenthood is striking the right balance
between keeping your children safe
and teaching them how to navigate a world that sometimes isn't safe.


Speaking of things that are mostly safe, but kind of not,
the rest of the Hendricksons set a goal to put up our big trampoline today.
Why is that activity so fraught with peril, you ask?
Because we live near a swamp, and the mild winter at the start of this year
means there are even more mosquitos than usual.
I put on full mosquito armor today (long sleeves, jeans, and boots)
and the little vampire bugs still managed to bite me.

No comments: