Monday, September 14, 2020

Hieroglyphics and Food Flowers

I've noticed that I take a lot of homeschool pictures lately.  I can't resist recording the interesting activities and experiments we do.  I suppose I'm like a new parent with their first child, where every little thing the baby does seems novel, fun, and worthy of documentation.  I wonder how many pictures I'll take next year, if we decide to homeschool again.  We'll see.


Today's interesting homeschool activity involved "food flowers."  Every time Todd or Anna finished reading a chart of practice words . . .


. . . they got to choose items from a plate . . .


. . . and make a food flower.


Todd decided to add some raisin birds to this one.


Todd and Anna's English language arts (ELA) lesson also included a chapter about Native American culture in New England.  After we finished reading, we drew a picture of a Native American mother and her son watching a sunset.  I asked Daniel to join in for that, since he tends to finish his ELA assignments before the younger kids do.


After lunch, we all had a history lesson on Ancient Egypt, then the kids wrote their names using hieroglyphics.


Todd estimates that he took three times as long to write his name with hieroglyphics as he did with the Latin alphabet.  I vote we stick with the alphabet, don't you?
 

No comments: