Monday, December 25, 2017

Christmas Traditions, Old and New

Christmas is a time of fun traditions and family quirks.


Last night I lined up our stuffed  stockings on our couch because we don't have a mantle, and because that's what my parents always did even when we did have a mantle.


Bright and early this morning, Phillip gathered the kids, not around our Christmas tree, but to our computers.  Last night he worked some techie admin magic to create enchantments to improve their Minecraft gear.  He made sure to create at least one fireproofing spell for Joy, who tends to fall in lava a lot.


After visiting the communal Minecraft base, our next stop was the family room with the Christmas tree.  Phillip says it's a Daddy job to distribute the Christmas presents, because that's what they always did in his family growing up.


Joy received a book from Pink Grandma, and set right to work reading it (that's my girl).  My favorite gift was a book too--a permaculture memoir called Paradise Lot (thank you, Honey).  I love to read it and daydream about the yard full of fruit trees and berry bushes I hope to have someday.


Joy was also thrilled to receive a toy robot named Max, which she's been asking for for weeks.


Todd was pleased to receive a new BrainQuest book (I got him the Kindergarten one, but later in the day I saw him working on Anna's First Grade one too).


Anna was delighted to receive a mermaid tail Snuggie blanket.  She wore it all day.  I'm still not sure how she manages to climb stairs in it.


Engineer Daddy was pleased to get a Drosselmeyer nutcracker.  He loves cracking nuts, but hates the simple and unwieldy nutcrackers we have, so he searched the internet for a better one.  He likes things that are well built and do their job efficiently, and the Drosselmeyer definitely fits that bill.


Daniel loved his new laser maze game, but he completed all of the puzzles before the day was over.  I'd prefer to get my kids something they'll enjoy for many weeks to come, but I guess there's also something to be said for a solid morning of  fun.  Maybe I'll put the game in a cupboard for a few weeks, then bring it out again when he's forgotten all the solutions to the puzzles.  It will be like Christmas in January!


Speaking of the gift that keeps on giving, a couple weeks ago I bought myself this box of twelve mystery caramels from Trader Joe's.  I ate one each morning of the twelve days leading up to Christmas, and I have to say, amid all the hectic busyness of the holidays, it was nice to take a moment each day to slow down, savor a caramel, and try to guess what flavor it was (ginger? maple? orange? HOT CHILI!!!).  If they sell them again in the future, I am totally going to make this an annual tradition.

No comments: