Thursday, December 22, 2016

Christmas Break, Day 3: Tai Chi and Mistletoe

On the third day of Christmas break (my true love sent to me . . . oh wait) . . .


. . . Anna helped me make construction paper presents so we could write down acts of service we have done this month . . .


. . . and stick them on the door with a few Christmas cards we've received.  It's a fun, colorful reminder that Christmas is about love and following Christ's example of service, and that serving others is the best birthday gift we can give Him.


Our service door inspired Joy to propose a family secret service project.  We each drew names, and agreed to do some service for that family member.  The identity of the servers wasn't really that secret, but it was still a sweet project.  Joy served me by making a little bird nest from leaves and berries she collected outside, then she wrote a note comparing me to a "patient and protective" mother bird.


After lunch, I took the kids to my tai chi class.  The girls joined in the warm-ups, and Joy did her best to follow along with the tai chi form at the end.  Daniel just did laps around the room acting out his favorite video game while Todd sat in a chair and observed the proceedings as usual.


Here's the teacher showing me the finer points of "repulse the monkey."  I've made a lot of progress with tai chi in the past few months, but I still look like an awkward rookie compared to someone who's been doing it for years.


Next on our Christmas break agenda was "harvest some mistletoe."  I had seen some growing in a tree in Target's parking lot, so I parked the van nearby and Joy and I headed over to collect a few sprigs of a poisonous parasite (nothing like a little scientific terminology to take some of the charm out of tradition).  I would have been content with a little sprig from one of the lower branches, but Joy insisted on climbing up into the tree to collect a much bigger sample, which is now hanging from our ceiling fan in the front room.


Phillip was so busy helping out when we decorated gingerbread houses the other night that he didn't have a free minute to decorate his own.  He decided to do that tonight, but when he tried to separate the gingerbread pieces he found them very hard to break apart.  Naturally, Engineer Daddy responded by getting out his power tools.

No comments: