Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Done, but Not Really

When I went to bed last night . . .


. . . the only thing left to do with the chicken tractor
was staple hardware cloth (sturdy metal mesh to keep predators out)
on the chicken run roof.


Oh yeah, and a half dozen other things to help with security, ventilation, access, etc.
(Thank you, Daddy!!!)


Anna and I have put in countless hours painting and stapling lately.
(It's a lot harder than I expected to use a staple gun correctly.)
We persevered though, and at 3:02pm this afternoon,
I invited Anna to put in the very last staple.


Done!  It's finally done!
Time to move the tractor out to the lawn
and triumphantly bring our chickies out
to their spacious new home!


Or . . . maybe not.
First of all, the tractor was much, MUCH heavier than I expected.
I had to ask the kids to help me roll it out onto the driveway,
and when it reached the lawn it jerked to a halt.
We muscled it back onto the pavement to assess the situation . . .


. . . and realized that the wheels we used were too small.
It will be nearly impossible to roll our big, heavy tractor
over the soft, uneven ground of our lawn.
What good is a chicken tractor that's stuck on a driveway???
Chickens can't eat asphalt!

I'm sure we will figure out some simple solution involving larger wheels,
but I feel too deflated to think about that right now.
I guess our chickens will spend at least one more day
in their deluxe watermelon box.

No comments: