Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Springtime Yard Work

Over lunch today, I asked the kids whether any of them would like to earn $1 for doing 20 minutes of yard work.  They readily volunteered, then Joy reminded me that our state's minimum wage is $12.75/hour.  I reminded her that many parents expect their kids to do yard work for free.  She took the hint, and that was the end of our wage negotiation.


We then headed outside to clean up the debris of last autumn.  We gathered spent hosta leaves . . .


. . . trimmed old hosta stems . . .


. . . chopped off dead hydrangea twigs, and took all the refuse out back to toss down "Compost Hill."  The jobs were pretty straightforward, but they took a lot longer than I expected, and we were pretty tired by the time we finished, so I paid the kids $5 instead of $1.  They definitely earned it.

No comments: