Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Rhubarb Cobbler

When we moved into our house last summer, I was pleased to discover . . .


. . . a vigorous rhubarb plant growing next to our screened porch.  My dad loves rhubarb pie, but I had never actually cooked with rhubarb before.  I didn't even know what it tasted like on its own.


I asked a friend from church for her favorite rhubarb recipes, then I harvested some stalks this afternoon and started chopping.  They smelled like pie crust dough with a hint of nutmeg, but when I tasted a piece, it was eating a sour-apple-flavored grape.  I know--weird.


But the tangy rhubarb cobbler turned out delicious!  We like it even better than apple crisp . . .


. . . and most of us had seconds.  Next on the rhubarb experiment list: a rhubarb jam recipe that calls for a packet of strawberry Jello.  O_o

No comments: