Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Skip the Turkey, Keep the Program

Phillip and I have been parents for 13 years now, and our Christmas traditions are still evolving.  That's partly because we always went to grandparents' houses for Christmas back in California, and they made all the magic happen while we gratefully soaked up the holiday spirit.  I've only been in charge of planning our family's Christmas meals and activities since we left So Cal three years ago, and I'm still working some of the kinks out.


For example, when I considered what to cook for Christmas Eve dinner this year, turkey seemed like an obvious choice.  It has "feast" written all over it, right?  The trouble is that it's a hassle to make, a pain to clean up after, and I didn't really love having a repeat of Thanksgiving dinner a mere month after Turkey Day.  I want Christmas dinner to be something different (and simpler).  I guess I've got a year to figure out an alternative.


On a happier note, we celebrated Christmas Eve by drawing pictures to give as gifts . . .


. . . and having our Christmas Eve program, which is a medley of traditions Phillip and I grew up with.  We read portions of the nativity story from the Bible, then moved the corresponding nativity figures to the stable in Bethlehem, like my family did growing up.  We also sang lovely Christmas carols to go along with each part of the story, like we used to do with Pink Grandma on Christmas Eve.


I hope the kids (and their parents) came away feeling a little closer to their Savior, with a little more desire to carry on His mission of love and hope.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

No comments: