Sunday, December 15, 2019

Our Chaotic Christmas Tree

We trimmed our Christmas tree for our family home evening activity today.


While the girls strung the lights . . .


. . . I set out some nuts and our random collection of nutcrackers . . .


. . . so all the tree trimmers could share a snack after we finished.


Our tree looked pretty chaotic by the time we were done, but I think that's how a family Christmas tree should be.  Whenever I'm tempted to artfully decorate our tree by myself, I think of my sister's high school friend who visited our house one December.  Mom invited her to help trim the tree, and she commented that it was the first time in her life that she had ever decorated a Christmas tree.  Her mom was very particular about decorating their tree, with every coordinating ornament placed just so, and she never let her kids participate for fear they would do it wrong.  I'm sure her Christmas tree was beautiful, but it makes me sad to think that her kids didn't get to join in the fun.  Our tree is a hodgepodge of mismatched ornaments that will never appear on a magazine cover, but they are infused with memories that warm our hearts, and that's how I like it.


No comments: