Thursday, December 26, 2019

A Late Christmas Treasure Hunt

One of Todd's Christmas presents arrived a day late, so I took a page from my dad's parenting playbook and organized a holiday treasure hunt.


I made up some simple riddles (Dad would have written them in rhyming couplets, 'cuz he's awesome like that) . . .


. . . then I stuffed them into little stockings with our initials on them.  One of the rules of the treasure hunt was that you could only read a clue if it was in a stocking with your initial on it (so the fastest participants wouldn't have all the clue-reading fun).


I then surreptitiously stashed the stockings around our house.


I told the kids the rules, then informed them that the first stocking was located somewhere on our Christmas tree.


It took them a while to find it, so I guess I hid it pretty well.  Once they found it, though, high-speed chaos ensued, so I don't have any other pictures for you.  All in all, the treasure hunt was a hit, but next time (and there will definitely be a next time) I want to make a couple clues that only the younger kids will know how to answer.  Reading is nice, but let's face it--the real fun is in finding a clue before everyone else does.

No comments: