Friday, June 7, 2019

Blue and Gold Cake Buffet

We went to our ward's cub scout Blue and Gold Banquet this evening.  I'm not sure why they called it a "banquet," since we didn't eat dinner.  Tradition perhaps?


They did have a cake pot luck, though.  Every family was encouraged to decorate a cake that illustrated some virtue in the Scout Law (e.g. thrifty, reverent, clean).  This assignment stressed me out for days because I have the cake decorating skills of a kindergartner.  How the heck was I gonna make a cake that symbolized some abstract concept like "courteous"?


Fortunately, I had a flash of inspiration at the store today, when I saw a big bag of chocolate candies.  I made a sheet cake, and encouraged Daniel to make some symbolic candy design to illustrate a Scout Law virtue.  I suggested a happy face for "cheerful," or maybe two happy faces for "friendly."  He went with a check mark for "obedient."  Done.


Other cakey contributions included a gluten-free vanilla cake with a "helpful" pulley on top, and a Chewbacca cake because Chewie is "loyal" to his friends.


Another cake had "trustworthy" army men, whom we can trust to obey orders and defend our country.  There was also a "brave" lion tamer; you have to be pretty courageous to stare down a lion.

No comments: