Friday, December 24, 2021

Traditions in Flux

After 15 years of parenting, I'm kind of surprised that our family's Christmas traditions are still a work in progress.


The "enderman on the shelf" has been a delightful constant the last few years . . .


. . . and the kids enjoyed waking up to favorite Christmas books that I set out last night . . .


. . . but the virtual fireplace video with Christmas carols was new this year . . .


. . . and I decided to connect with our Danish roots by making risalamande tonight.  It's a fancy rice pudding recipe served with cherry sauce on Christmas Eve in Denmark.  It was good but not great, so I doubt I'll make it again next year.  Christmas can be such a hectic time, so I try to only do the festive things that we truly love.


Even our Christmas Eve program is kind of in flux.  When we finished it this evening, the kids asked why we sing carols and talk about Jesus the night before His birthday, then spend His actual birthday just opening presents and lounging in our pajamas.  They suggested that we do the program on Christmas itself next year to lend more reverence to that day.  I think I'll add that to the list of things we may do a little differently next December.

No comments: