Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Advent

I've kind of struggled to make Christmastime feel meaningful this year.  I want it to be fun for my family, but I also want it to be a time of generosity, service, and reverence for the Savior.


At the beginning of this month, I tried to inspire everyone to serve others by hanging up a chart and inviting the kids to write or draw on it every time they served someone.  Unfortunately, that only seemed to resonate with Anna and me.  Everyone else forgot about it.


When I mentioned my problem to a friend, she invited us to join her family for their advent celebration.  On the four Sundays before Christmas, they light a candle . . .


. . . then read some scriptures and a short message about Jesus.  It helps them focus on what Christmas is really about.


I think I may try some variation of that with a special advent calendar I bought several days ago.  Each ornament has a different title of Jesus Christ (Redeemer, Prince of Peace, etc.), and a scripture where that title is used.  At first my kids thought it was weird that I hung this advent calendar up a few days before Christmas (especially since we already have a similar Santa calendar that we've been using for years), but we've found it to be really uplifting.  Every night this week, each of us has chosen an ornament, read the title and verse out loud, then explained why that title applies to Jesus, and why it matters for us.  It's been a sweet way to turn our hearts and minds to Him, and focus on what truly makes this season magical.

No comments: