Sunday, October 22, 2017

Family History Discovery

I like to go to the family history center at our church building to research our family's ancestors, and I recently learned that they host "Family History Discovery" events for families, with activities for the young and not so young.  It sounded like a lot of fun, so I made an appointment for a Hendrickson Family History Discovery this afternoon.


The center directors printed up five generations of our family photos, and we took turns trying to put them in the right spot on our family tree.  I don't think I'd seen photos of any of Phillip's great-grandparents before, but I recognized most of the other photos, and I knew many of their names and their stories.  It was heartwarming to see so many familiar faces on our tree.  


Next, Sister Gardner helped the little kids with family history coloring pages while Brother Gardner showed Phillip, Joy, and me how to use some family history websites . . .


. . . and Daniel did temple picture puzzles on another computer.


Lastly, they pasted a picture of our family into photos of landmarks from places our ancestors lived, like the Isle of Wight over in England.  It was fun to see pictures of our family "visiting" places like Denmark, Scotland, Quebec, and Germany.  Maybe we'll visit some of those places for real someday.


No comments: