Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Tree Houses in Our Family Room

I've been reading the Magic Tree House series to my kids for years.  The chapters are short, the books have plenty of pictures (Gaston would approve), and the later books in the series have rich stories that make even grownups want to read ahead.  By the time Joy was about five she would get tired of waiting until bedtime to hear the next chapter, so she started reading the rest of the book on her own.  At first it bugged me that she would read ahead and I would have to finish the books on my own, but then it dawned on me that it's a good thing for kids to voluntarily read books, so I just let her go ahead and do it.


Anna and Daniel have been more content to listen than read on their own, but lately Anna has started reading ahead in the Magic Tree House books too.


Daniel hasn't been an eager reader in the past, but I think Anna has inspired him to start reading and rereading the Magic Tree House books as well.  The first time I saw him pick up a book of his own accord, I wasn't even tempted to dissuade him; I wanted to do a happy dance (in another room where he couldn't see me).


While Daniel and Anna read Magic Tree House books after school today, Joy decided to teach little Todd about numeric place values.  You're never too young to start.

No comments: