Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Spirit of Giving (in October)

I can't believe how many Halloween activities we've participated in over the past week.


There was the community Halloween festival at a local park, . . .


. . . our ward's Trunk-or-Treat . . .


. . . where I oversaw the hands-free doughnut eating game, . . .


. . . dinner at my parents' home (Mom made her traditional Skull Island-shaped meatloaf, and my sister made a Lock Ness Monster dessert), . . .


. . . we carved a family jack-o-lantern last night, . . .


. . . and Joy strutted her stuff in the school Halloween parade (all the kindergarteners wore spider hats which they made as part of their science unit on arachnids).


After all that, I was kind of surprised that the big kids still wanted to dress up and go trick-or-treating tonight.  I gamely put their costumes on for the third time, donned some Minnie Mouse ears, and sallied forth into the darkness.  As my kids politely thanked one neighbor after another for the candy they handed out, I was struck by the fact that across America, millions of people were giving away free treats tonight for the sole purpose of making others happy, including countless children they had never even met before.  What a sweet, generous tradition.


Boo!!!  Happy Halloween!

No comments: