Thursday, April 7, 2011

Still Life with Joy

Joy wanted to color this afternoon, and she invited me to join her.

I decided to draw a still life of our fruit bowl (I know--really original).

The result was decent, but I gained greater respect for people who can draw with anything approaching accuracy. It was all I could do to make the pears recognizable as such, let alone get their shape and shading right.

Joy decided to draw the fruit bowl, too, and her renditions reminded me to clown faces.

This minimalist version calls to mind a certain Mr. Bean sketch when he takes an art class.

The clowns looked happy, but the artist wasn't pleased with her work. She asked for my "expert" advice on drawing the bowl and its contents, and with a few suggestions from me she produced . . .

. . . this. I kind of preferred the clowns, but Joy was very pleased with her final version. Art appreciation is truly subjective.

No comments: