Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Peas

Joy is becoming increasing picky about food - favoring fruits over veggies, rejecting some things if they're not mixed with foods she likes better, etc. Her gastronomical nemesis is peas. I've tried mixing bits of them with other things, but unless the pea ratio is very small she doesn't go for it. It's an uphill battle, with a very steep grade.

Today, as I was strategizing how best to increase my baby's pea intake, I suddenly had an epiphany. I loathe peas. They're one of the only veggies I refuse to cook. They're part of my Food Axis of Evil. So why on earth am I so determined to feed them to another person who probably inherited a genetic prejudice against them?

I thought up a few half-hearted answers, like "She needs variety, and there aren't many green baby veggies to choose from" or "I shouldn't impose my likes and dislikes on her," but frankly they all pale before the cold hard fact that Joy hates peas and her mama doesn't blame her. So I think we'll try green beans and a few mixed vegetable combos to get Joy her green veggies. If she hates those, too . . . well we'll just cross that bridge if we come to it.

(Strained squash cosmetics - they're so hot right now.)

10 comments:

Jodi Jean said...

i actually really like peas, but aidan loathes them as well. he forcefully spits them at me everytime i try. if i do like a 1:2 ratio with some kind of fruit he'll tolerate a few bites ... but thats all. sheesh, babies are picky!

Christine said...

Okay, she is so cute! I can't believe how big she is! I think the majority of kids hate peas. Easton is too young to be able to be too picky, but I can tell that they're not his favorite. I have to mix them with other things to trick him. Once he gets to where he can reject them, I'm not going to waste my time. Life's too short.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I'm still somewhat picky as an adult, but since I buy or cook most of my own food now it isn't as much of an issue.

Of course, I've come a long way from when I was a kid and considered all veggies except corn and carrots cruel and unusual punishment.

Jessica said...

Nathan hates the peas too...now, I like peas, but have you tasted the pureed ones? Better yet, smelled them?? They are disgusting! I gave up on peas a long time ago!

Serena said...

Try shepards pie and Joy will eat those peas right up. Also Tuna Casserole.

Caitlin said...

It's nice to know that there are other "selective eaters" out there. I think everyone has a few things that they really don't like, why should we make our kids eat them. At our house we require one bite of something new, if you don't like it, you don't have to finish it. I think that is fair. I, like you, am a bit of a picky adult too. However, since I have really started to enjoy cooking, my dislikes list has grown quite a bit shorter!

Janie said...

Sorry to be the lone poster whose kid actually likes peas. McKay loves to shove a bunch in his mouth, preferring them to the carrots in the peas/carrots frozen bag. I have to say though, Joy wears her vegetables quite well! She is so cute!

Kerri said...

Dylan has a love/hate relationship with all food these days. When he started eating peas, he hated them. I waited about 4 weeks before trying again, and then he liked them. For about 3 months, he gave me no complaints when I offered them to him. Now all of a sudden, he hates them again. And his all-time favorite, green beans, is being rejected as well now. Tyler ate everything in sight, so this baby food struggle is new to me, too!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I'm with Jessica - the pureed peas are awful. I confess that if Joy doesn't finish her meal I usually eat the rest so it won't go to waste. However, if peas are present in even the smallest quantity, it all goes in the trash.

Caitlin, it's funny how actually cooking food makes you more open to trying ingredients you previously shunned. I think that's what finally persuaded me to branch out.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Hmm... I don't know if this would work with Joy, but my cousin feeds her daughter frozen peas. Her daughter doesn't otherwise eat them, but she loves the frozen ones. (I tried some too, and they were actually pretty good!)

Yeah. I'm not good at this advice thing. Good luck!