Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Archery?

Both Kimberly and I like archery, though Kimberly has been shooting for many more years than I have. We went target shooting today, and took little Joy along with us (we were shooting with a couple of guys who had longbows and back quivers - they looked like Robin Hood and "Little" John!). Had someone told me a year ago that I would be taking my first child to an archery range before he/she was three weeks old, I might not have believed them!


Phillip shooting from a distance of 20 yards. I'm using a trigger release mechanism and a pin sight.

Kimberly shoots. She had just replaced her arrow rest with a much more sturdy one.

Our family at the target. All of the arrows hit the target, which is good. :)

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Ooh updates! I wish all my cousins had blogs.

I took archery in college. It was fun, but I'm pretty rotten at it. I had to aim 4 feet to the right of the target to hit it. But I was grouping my arrows, so I guess I wasn't doing to badly.

By the way, the new pictures of Joy are adorable. I also liked seeing your parents holding her.

Phillip said...

Did you have a sight on your bow? Sometimes the sight just needs to be adjusted. Or, if you're like me, who started out shooting with the wrong hand (my first experience was on Kimberly's right-handed bow: I use a leftie now, then you'll be way off too, just like I was.

Natalie said...

No sight, the bows we used were much simpler looking than the ones you have. Somehow I don't think archery was a top priority at Pomona College. =) I may very well have been shooting with the wrong hand-- doesn't it have to do with which eye is dominant?? Anyway, it's been at least six years now.

Phillip said...

Yep - the ones that Kimberly and I both have are compounds; hunters often use them (mine's is actually supposed to be used for hunting, but I'm not).

What you were probably using at Pomona were recurves - were the bodies wood or metal? The range that we took those photos at is owned by an archery club that has informal classes on Saturday mornings, and they have equipment rental for those that don't have their own bows. Their bows are recurves, no sights installed. You probably had something similar.

Now I just need to get out and shoot more often! I wanted to go every day this week, but Joy has kept me at home a couple of days. :)