Sunday, January 28, 2024

The Reesey Run

When I decided to acquire some adorable chickies last year,
I little imagined the things I would need to learn
about the challenges of chick containment,
the uses of watermelon boxes . . .


. . . and building additional livestock shelters.
Videos like this one make homestead carpentry seem simple and easy,
but although I grasp the basic concept of their plans . . .


. . . it literally took me hours to get this far
because I only kinda know how to build stuff, and what order to build it in.
It frustrates me to know that there must be a better, faster way to complete this project,
but in the end, what really matters . . .


. . . is that I produced a big, secure shelter for Reesey, 
and got it covered with a tarp before snow fell last night.
She seems happier now that she has room to move around
and a patch of fresh grass to scratch and peck.


I parked the new "Reesey Run" near the chicken tractor,
so the other hens can get used to Reesey being around them again.
Hopefully, that will help things go more smoothly
when I make my next attempt at reintegrating her into the flock.

Martha: "Who's that?  She looks familiar."
Abby: "How come she gets her own room? I want one too!"
Mary: "Speak for yourself.  It looks kinda drafty."

No comments: