Saturday, December 30, 2023

Giving Chickens

When I drove through New York City for the first time five years ago,
do you know what I was most excited to see?
The Empire State Building?  Rockefeller Square?
Nope--the Giving Machines!
And I was so disappointed when we arrived to find them closed for the night.


The Giving Machines have come back to New York City every December since then,
but I couldn't bring myself to make the seven-hour round-trip drive
to visit them and make a donation.
Then I found out they were coming to the Boston area too this year!
Come on, kids!  Let's go to Cambridge!


Anna, Todd, and I headed to the Cambridgeside Mall this evening
and started hunting for the Giving Machines.
I think we're getting warmer.


There they are!


I gave the kids a donation budget, 
and asked what they wanted to buy for another family somewhere in the world.
Since we love our hens, they decided to buy someone
a pair of Christmas chickens.


Then Anna used her Christmas Claire's gift card
to purchase some cute earrings that she's really excited about . . .


. . . and Todd used his Cheesecake Factory gift card
to buy some delicious dessert (which he kindly shared with Anna and me).

What a fun way to wrap up the Christmas season--
sharing a fun little adventure with loved ones,
and giving a gift to a stranger that can change their life for the better.

No comments: