Saturday, August 19, 2023

Falling for Rex

I'm enjoying our chicken adventure,
but I noticed early on that whenever I went out to check on our hens . . .


. . . I was more eager to see their cute little bunny neighbor 
(whom Joy has dubbed Sir Frederick).
I'm not planning to get rid of the chickens,
but I started thinking that perhaps I should have built a tractor for meat rabbits instead.
After toying with that idea for the last few months . . .


. . . I decided to visit a big rabbit show in Topsfield today
to talk to some breeders about what raising rabbits is like.


It was fun to see rabbits of all shapes and sizes (including this Jersey Wooly) . . .


. . . waiting their turn to be examined by a certified rabbit judge.
This black rabbit is a variety called Rex, which is famous for its short, velvety fur.
I went to the show leaning toward raising Silver Fox rabbits 
because they have good size, gentle temperaments, and are good moms,
but when I held a Rex rabbit at the show today I fell in love.
They are so divinely soft!


Although I didn't buy any Rex rabbits at the show
(I still want to figure out some things before I dive headfirst into rabbit raising)
it's probably a only a matter of time before I put some stickers like these on my minivan.

No comments: