Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Coming Home to God

Massachusetts has a lot of natural beauty,
but I think the loveliest place in our state . . .


. . . is the Boston Temple at sunset,
especially when I'm there with my family.


We were excited to see that this portion of the grounds
was finally open again after months of renovation.
We took a pleasant little twilight walk to see how it turned out,
then we went inside to ponder and pray in the temple waiting room.
It's hard to get an appointment for temple baptisms, 
so sometimes we just come to commune with God for a while.


Near the end of our visit,
I opened a Church magazine and read an article by President Ballard
about the importance of making the temple part of our lives.

As I read the article, I was initially surprised to see a picture
where Jesus wasn't the central focus.
His gaze and the gesture of His hand seemed to direct the viewer
toward the door of the temple in the middle of the painting.
On reflection, I realized there was poignant symbolism there.

The temple represents God's invitation to purify our lives
and ultimately return to His presence.
Everything Jesus taught was meant to help us
do precisely that.

No comments: