Sunday, September 4, 2022

Summer Cooking

I hate making lunch.  
I don't mind spending an hour cooking dinner,
but at lunchtime I'd rather just heat up some leftovers
and then get on with my day.


Since summer vacation means that five or more Hendricksons
need lunch for about 70 days in a row,
I decided to get the kids involved this year
so I wouldn't just cycle through the same handful of easy lunches
that we'd all get tired of by August.


Every week, each of the kids would take a turn 
making a lunch of their choice (or helping me make it).
The only rule was that they couldn't choose something we'd eaten in the last two weeks.
I've enjoyed having their company in the kitchen,
and it's been a good opportunity to teach them some kitchen skills.


I also thought of a way the kids can earn a little extra money.
I don't mind rolling Protein Poppers, but I don't like mixing the dough,
so I offer $2 to anyone willing to measure and mix the ingredients.
Anna particularly likes this arrangement since she doesn't have a job yet,
but sometimes even Joy likes to score some quick cash.

No comments: