Friday, September 16, 2022

Back with Joy

I attended Back to School Night at the high school this evening.


Joy asked to come along, which surprised me
because I never did that as a kid,
and I had never noticed any students attending when I went as a parent.
There were a few other teenagers there tonight though, 
so I guess it's not entirely unprecedented.


We watched PowerPoints about teaching philosophies . . .


. . . pondered pithy quotes . . .


. . . and posed for a photo with Gerald Ford.
The teacher in this room also hangs fake windows with tropical pictures on his wall
since his classroom is in the basement and has no view of the outside world.
I admire both his sense of humor and his courage,
since he starts his classes by inviting students to discuss politics and current events with each other.
Joy says the discussions are actually pretty balanced and respectful.

No comments: