Saturday, January 22, 2022

Joy's New Job

Joy has been debating whether to apply for a job ever since she turned 14 and could legally work at our local grocery store.  She recently decided that she has enough spare time and she wants to start saving for college, so she got a job this week as a cashier.


She doesn't love the slacks-and-button-down dress code, and she spent most her first ride to work slouching in her seat, lamenting that she looked so "derpy" . . .


. . . but once we arrived she straightened up and was eager to learn about her new position.  When I walked out of the store I had a brief parental freak-out because I had just handed my precious child over to a bunch of strangers, but I quickly recovered because I knew Joy could take care of herself.


This afternoon when I dropped her off again, I decided to pick up a few things and go through Joy's checkout line.  She was very personable with the customers as she scanned their groceries (with a trainer looking over her shoulder), and I could tell that she is really committed to doing her job well.

No comments: