Saturday, April 11, 2020

An Easter Egg Hunt and a Cherry Tree

For most of my kids' childhood, I haven't bothered to plan Easter egg hunts.  We were always invited to at least one or two egg hunts with friends, relatives, or church, so if I organized one of our own it was just candy overkill.


As Easter Sunday approached this week, I realized that if I didn't plan an Easter egg hunt for my kids during this pandemic, they weren't going to have one.  Well, we couldn't have that, so this afternoon I locked myself in my room with a bunch of plastic eggs, a few bags of Easter candy (some of which I ate--gotta keep your strength up, ya know?), and lots of coins (to decrease my kids' sugar intake and increase the older kids' egg-hunting enthusiasm).  Once all the eggs were filled, Joy and Daniel hid some out front for the younger kids, and I hid the rest out back for the two older kids.


Anna found her quota of eggs pretty quickly.


Todd took a while longer and needed a few hints, but he had fun and eventually found all of his eggs too.


Joy (whose default setting these days is "Critic") told me that I should really try to hide eggs in places that are at least a little bit challenging next time.  Then she and Daniel spent five or ten minutes looking for the last three eggs, which were sitting in plain sight on the deck.  So there.


While her sibs looked for those last eggs, Anna admired the blossoms that are starting to appear on our big weeping cherry tree.  It was a very fitting backdrop for a beautiful holiday that celebrates hope and rebirth.


Once the eggs had all been found, the kids headed inside to enjoy some of their spoils for dessert . . . 


. . . and do a little candy trading.

No comments: