Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Touring Lowell

This morning, I drove up to Lowell with a friend so I could be her "patient" for her nursing exam.  She is training to work in a nursing home, so I got to lie in a bed while she pretended to clean my dentures.  Then she was assigned to roll me onto my side and surround me with comfy pillows so I could take a nice nap.  By the end of exam, I was so comfortable that I really did want to take a nap, but alas, the next student was waiting to take her test, so I had to say goodbye to the pillows.


Earlier, while we were still waiting our turn for the exam, I decided to take a little tour of the city.  Lowell is the fourth largest city in Massachusetts (by population), and as the spindles on the sign imply, it owes its early growth to . . .


. . . lots of textile factories . . .


. . . powered by canals that channeled part of the Merrimack river through the city.  Now ducks are the only ones using the canals . . .


. . . but the city is still a thriving metropolis that is home to a university, a thriving art scene, and some stunning architecture.


I ended up hanging out at the library for a while before walking back to the exam site.  I like to think that the Civil War cavalryman carved onto the outside of the tower is Colonel Charles Lowell III, a Massachusetts soldier who my dad really admired.  While Charles wasn't directly related to Francis Cabot Lowell (the businessman for whom this city was named), a man of Charles' character would be right at home on the wall of a library, where future generations could continue looking up to him, in every sense.

No comments: