Saturday, August 31, 2019

The Outsourced Unicorn Party

As I've mentioned before, I find party planning incredibly stressful for some reason, so I tend to keep birthday celebrations super simple in our family.  I let the birthday boy or girl choose dinner and dessert, I buy them a present or two, and at dinnertime I invite everyone in the family to share something they love about that person.  It's simple, fun, and I don't have to decorate anything.


I'm related to three girls who love to party, though, and they decided to plan a surprise birthday party for Anna this weekend.  Joy spearheaded the idea and invited Anna's friends (we had to change the date three times--have I mentioned that I find party planning stressful?), then Red Grandma and Aunt Heather took charge of the decorations.  While Daddy took Anna on an errand this afternoon, we all rushed around turning our home into a unicorn-themed party scene.


Anna's arrival was the most anticlimactic thing you can imagine.  She just calmly walked in and waved at everyone, as if it was perfectly normal for people to shout "Surprise!!!" when she stepped into her house.  She insists that she really was surprised, but you certainly couldn't tell.


The party was fun though.  We played "Pin the Tail on the Unicorn" and "Unicorn Ring Toss" . . .


. . . then we busted open a pinata . . .


. . . and decorated cupcakes.  It was a delightful party, the kids had a great time, and I was SOOOOOO glad I didn't have to organize it.

No comments: