Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Oak Leaves and Radish Sprouts

We're seeing more welcome signs of spring here in Maryland.


Tiny leaves are appearing on our oak tree . . .


. . . a few radish sprouts have popped up in my sheet mulch bed (radishes tend to sprout faster than other veggies) . . .


. . . and our hibernating clematis is starting to revive.  When we moved in last summer it was a beautiful, flowering bush, but a few months later it was a cobwebby mass of dead leaves.  I worried that I'd killed it by not watering it during the hot summer, but when I cut the branches off so I could remove the apparently dead plant, I found that the wood inside was dormant, not dead.  Then I worried that I really had killed it by chopping it so close to the ground.  Fortunately, clematis vines are apparently quite resilient.

No comments: