Friday, August 18, 2017

Magic Rocks and Real Ones

Summer vacation is almost over, and between the move and potty training I feel like I haven't gotten out and done very many fun activities with the kids.  While there's certainly something to be said for making your own fun around the house, I want to fill our last couple weeks of summer vacation with some more memorable activities.


I started today by getting out some little science projects the kids received as gifts a while back.


We grew some "magic rocks" (they actually grow really fast!) . . .


. . . then the kids took turns excavating semiprecious stones from a block of sandstone (or some artificial equivalent thereof).


At first all they unearthed were these little pebbles.  Was this quartz and jasper in the rough?  Should we check the box for a little rock tumbler?


Then Joy chipped away a bit more of the block and found what looked like a shiny little jelly bean.  Apparently the semiprecious stones come pre-tumbled. :)


Here's the aftermath of the excavation.  I suppose this was meant to be more of an outdoor project, but the mosquitoes in our neighborhood have been biting a lot and biting hard lately.  I'd rather spend a few minutes cleaning up a dusty mess than have my kids get bitten ten times looking for a little piece of sodalite.

No comments: