Thursday, June 29, 2017

Natural Wonder

There were a lot of things I loved about growing up in Southern California, but the barren hillsides weren't one of them.  I hoped I would someday settle in a place that was greener and felt more alive, where the yards didn't depend on sprinklers for their survival.  I assumed that place would be Northern California, instead of a state on the other side of the continent, but now that we're in Maryland I love how lush everything is.  There are trees everywhere, we spot deer in the woods regularly, and fireflies wink on and off in people's yards at dusk (I doubt I'll ever get tired of seeing them).   


This little natural wonder landed on our glass front door yesterday.  It was fun to point out to the kids how furry its body looks up close, and to explain that the feathery antennae were a good indicator that it was a moth not a butterfly, but the real giveaway was that it perched with its wings spread wide, not clasped behind it the way a butterfly does.  They all thought our little visitor was pretty cool . . .


. . . especially Todd.

No comments: