Saturday, July 16, 2016

The Triforce Kite and the Sweet Club

Joy has been trying to construct a kite lately, but none of her models have turned out very well . . .


. . . so I proposed making a tetrahedron kite this morning, like my fifth-grade class constructed many moons ago.


Daniel and Joy, who have been playing a Legend of Zelda game recently, agreed that the kite looked like the Triforce.


I may not be one of the more exciting summer vacation planners ever, but I did have at least one good idea this summer: let each child older than three take a turn choosing what we have for lunch one day of every week.  Joy loves this plan so much that she not only asked to choose on two days, she volunteered to help her siblings prepare what they selected.  They've come up with some creative ideas (including taco salad one day, and oatmeal another), and I love that I don't have to decide what to serve every day.


After lunch, the kids started a sibling club (they start a new one every few weeks or so).  Their first official act (after choosing officers) was to bake a cake to celebrate the inauguration of their club.


Their second official act was to revisit the solar s'mores idea.  In an effort to thwart the ants, the kids put the solar oven up on a step stool and posted a diligent seven-year-old guard to stop any six-legged s'mores moochers.  The ants refused to be deterred, however, so we brought the moderately warm s'mores inside and ate them before the ants could.


To offset all of the sugar we've been eating today, I blended up a banana-berry-spinach smoothie from the smoothie cookbook I checked out.  The kids (except for Anna, who's our pickiest eater these days) and I really liked it.

No comments: