Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Day of the Dead, with Gingerbread

For family home evening tonight, we decided to celebrate Day of the Dead.  When I first heard of that holiday years ago, I assumed it was some creepy celebration that focused on skeletons and other ghoulish things.  I recently learned that it is traditionally a time to gather with family and friends to remember and pray for departed loved ones.  The idea reminded me of our church's teachings that family connections are important and can continue into the next life.  I felt that this holiday would be a good time to share our testimony of that with our kids, and tell them about a couple relatives they didn't get a chance to know very well.


We kept our celebration very simple.  I made a bunch of gingerbread skeletons for us to munch while Phillip and I shared memories of his dad and my grandma.  We talked about their lives, their talents and hobbies, ways they served others, and things others appreciated about them.  It was a nice experience, and we may make it a new annual tradition, perhaps discussing ancestors from further back so the kids can learn more about their heritage.

Incidentally, Joy and Daniel asked to decorate a few of the cookies.  Daniel did the skinny skeleton on the right, I did the one in the middle, and Joy decorated the cookie on the left to look like he was wearing motorcycle gear.  The paper skeleton was a Day of the Dead art project Joy brought home from school.

No comments: