Friday, December 18, 2009

Play-doh Chaos

Joy is currently obsessed with the ten jars of Play-doh she got for her birthday.

The first day, her OCD mom just let her play with one jar at a time. Then I realized it was her Play-doh and there was no instruction manual that said there was only one right way to play with it, so if she wanted to open more than one jar at a time and mix the colors with wild abandon, there was nothing wrong with that. [twitch]

Thus began our descent into Play-doh chaos

It started small. The first day she just mixed a few colors in the jars, and actually came up with some beautiful color combinations. (She's dashing toward me in this photo because she loves seeing the pictures on our camera's screen after a I take a few shots.)

The next day Joy had all the jars open at once, and was thinking outside the jar--er, box--using an empty container to make impressions in her big rainbow pancake.

The following day the pancake had grown, the Play-doh looked like someone threw a rainbow in a blender, and Joy had started using our Little People Nativity figures as her artistic implements of choice. She rarely uses the jars now--since we can no longer distinguish the colors, we usually just roll all the Play-doh into a big ball and store it in a baggie so it won't dry out.

But don't worry--Joy found another good use for the jars.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

How funny! We got Jake the same set of Play Doh for Christmas, and I was thinking the same thing-how do I keep him from mixing up all the colors? I like your attitude. Who cares if he mixes up the colors? They're his! Good job, Joy :). And don't you think it's crazy how different the picture-taking experience is for our kids than it was for us? Don't you remember having to wait what seemed like forever to see pictures? Not anymore!

nathan n rachel said...

When I was a kid and played with play-doh...I never wanted to mix the colors. I wanted to keep them just how they were (mainly in a rainbow). I probably have Rainbow Brite to thank for that. :)

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Lisa--yes, I love the instant gratification of digital photography. I also love that I can immediately see whether the shot I took was any good.

Rachel, my memory isn't crystal clear on the subject of Play-doh, but I suspect I tried to keep the colors separate, too. But again, I'm slightly OCD about that sort of thing.

Serena said...

Love how philip is on the laptop in the back ahaha