Saturday, April 5, 2008

Temple Square

After the Brigham City Tour Mom, Dad, and I poked around Temple Square a bit before heading to the Lion House for the Grandma's birthday dinner.

It's been so cold lately that most of the Square's flowers aren't up yet. You could find a few vibrant pansies here and there, though. I think pansies get a bad rap--they're actually pretty hardy little flowers. Incidentally, I love how this picture turned out. Wish I was this lucky with every photo.

We spent most of our visit strolling around the temple itself (I confess I found the above photo on the web somewhere--the ones I shot of the temple as whole didn't turn out well).

We were particularly drawn to the ornate doors--what a labor of love for a bunch of frontier pioneers with limited resources.

Temples in general are special to me because they represent opportunities to draw nearer to God and seal families for eternity. I feel a particular love for the Salt Lake Temple when I think of the great faith and sacrifice of those who built it. As I surveyed their loving handiwork, I couldn't resist gently running my hand along it. The place felt sacred for so many reasons.

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

I used to wonder why so many people wanted to get married in the Salt Lake Temple. I mean, it doesn't really matter which temple you get married in, the ordinances are the same. Then I had the chance to visit and go through a session. It was incredible. You can see the early Saints' testimonies built into every inch of that temple. So beautiful.

Nicole Shelby said...

gorgeous...

i am particularly fond of the salt lake temple at conference time...the anniversary of our engagement.

sat session...9 years ago...surrounded by flowers...beneath the towering beautiful salt lake temple...

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Nicole, I can see how that experience would create a soft spot in your heart for that temple.

Jodi Jean said...

beautiful, it's amazing when you really think about all that went into the building of those early temples!!!

Serena said...

Beautiful pictures.
Christopher went there for conference too with his grandparents. How nice.