Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Day

Joy woke us up bright and early Christmas morning. Considering she'll spend the next two decades getting us up at 4:00am on December 25, I guess we should be grateful that she waited until 6:30am this time.

Here are our gifts piled under our lovely, non-dry, non-stinky tree. Yay!

Joy's presents included clothes from Mama and Daddy (we're taking full advantage of the fact that she's still too young to be disappointed by non-toy gifts), and a book from Aunt Alissa and Uncle Nate. Hmmm . . . book or clothes? Duh - BOOK! (I like this kid.)

After presents, eggnog pancakes (alas, that recipe still needs some tinkering), and Joy's morning nap, we headed to my parents' home for further festivities. With both our families, Christmas Eve is a time for reflection and Christmas Day is a time for fun. At the Sorenson house, that means hunting for Mom's tiny pickle ornament to win a prize, then participating in one of Dad's famous treasure hunts.

Mom and Dad ushered us out front while they hid all the clues, then Dad separated the boys and girls, and gave each team a different starting clue. For about ten chaotic minutes, the two teams raced around the house trying to solve Dad's riddles and find all their clues. At the end of the treasure hunt there was actually a prize for each of the participants - the only reward for reaching them first was fame and glory.

So guess who won. That's right . . .


. . . the Girls!

Once we caught our breath, we headed to Uncle Nile's house for the larger Sorenson Clan gathering (translation: more Sorensons eating more food, then playing more games, then eating more food). For some reason, I neglected to take any pictures there, which is a pity - I'd like to have photographic evidence of my first shot at Guitar Hero. I actually hit 75% of the notes (on the super-easy setting). Not bad for a rookie.

I truly love this season of the year. It's a wonderful time for reflection and creating fun family memories. We hope you've enjoyed it, too, wherever and however you celebrated.

Merry Christmas!

6 comments:

Kerri said...

We have more in common than I realized! We used to have a pickle ornament until this year when one of the boys broke it. Also, my mom used to be pretty famous for her scavenger hunts at birthday time. I am still amazed at how she was able to create new rhyming riddles year after year! Those are things I look forward to passing down to our kids.

Oh yeah, and right before our trip for Christmas, I took my first shot at Guitar Hero. Arthur is a total pro, but I was just happy to make it through the first song.

Glad you had a great Christmas!

Caitlin said...

Did Joy like ripping apart the wrapping paper? That always seems to be a fav among the kids.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Kerri, congrats on your guitar debut. :)

Caitlin, Joy didn't do much paper shredding - I don't think it occurred to her. She sure likes shredding Kleenex, though.

Jill Walker said...

Sounds so fun! I miss the Sorenson celebrations so much. Maybe one year we will have to give up the cold and snow and spend some time in California with the Sorenson clan! Give my love to your family.

Kimbertac said...

Will do, Aunt Jill.

Serena said...

How fun! I love the idea of finding clues on christmas. Cute how Joy loves the books.