Friday, July 20, 2007

Sweet!!!

Yesterday I decided it was time to sample the fruits of my labor (and that our tomato plant).

I harvested every red tomato on the plant, boiled them, peeled them (with the help of my dear and very accomodating husband), tossed them in a skillet with garlic and such, and produced . . .


. . . spaghetti sauce that was astoundingly . . . sweet? It seriously tasted like I had added a bunch of sugar to the sauce. I know some tomatoes are cultivated for their sweetness, but I don't think Better Boy is one of those varieties.

Cooking from your own garden can certainly be an adventure.

4 comments:

CJ said...

Well at least it looks really pretty!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

"It's probably just that the tomatoes have had more time to ripen than those used in commercial spaghetti sauce, thus increasing their sugar content, thus making your sauce sweeter," she said while making believe she actually knew what she was talking about.

Serena said...

It looks delicious. Hey your way ahead of us other young people trying to grow fruit.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Thanks, Serena. Actually, I have more tenacity than skill.