Friday, July 6, 2007

Harvest Festival

I am a compulsive gardener. Not a particularly skillful one, mind you, but I am persistent. In my current home I don't even have a patch of dirt to call my own, so I bought pots and some soil and did the best I could.

Back in April, my garden looked like this: Tomatoes, with little parsley and cilantro in between . . .

. . . and two bell pepper plants next to the chives and beets.

Three months later, I'm seeing some fruits of my labors. One of the tomato plants has done particularly well.


The pepper plants, on the other hand, labored three long months to produce this little beauty. Sigh - I've never had great success with bell peppers. These plants seem to be getting their second wind, though, so we'll see what the future holds. Maybe they prefer the scorching hot weather we've had lately. Who knew?

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

Your tomatoes look beautiful. All 4 of my plants have a blight, so that is a bummer. It has been my experience that container gardening is hit or miss. This is our first official in the ground garden, so it is all one big experiment! Good luck with your peppers.

Kerri said...

Wow, I am totally impressed. You are welcomed to do some gardening in our yard any time you feel so inclined!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Haha! Your pepper reminded me of an article I read in a local magazine here recently. It was about a park outside of Boston filled with sculptures, one of which was a bronze piece titled "Reclining Pepper." I can't seem to find an image of it online, but you can read about the park here.

I dunno. I just got a serious kick out of the title. :)

(Also, if you Google "reclining pepper," you'll get a bunch of interesting sites. Seriously.

Serena said...

great job, that helps me get motivated to do ours.