Monday, January 15, 2007

Developmental milestones for the first month

In the week preceding Joy's 1-month birthday (which was Friday, for anyone keeping track), she has achieved three important developmental abilities:
  1. she has started to lift her head on her own. I would have posted pictures for this, but Kimberly beat me to the punch two posts down.
  2. two nights this week, she slept for six hours straight! Each time, I woke up in the morning, and asked what time Joy had eaten in the night, and Kimberly said that she had slept most of the night. Hurray! (Now, we just need to get her to go to sleep earlier than 1-2 am.)
  3. Joy has started to follow things with her eyes. I first noticed this when I was holding her, and as I moved my head, she would rotate her head so that she could look at me. At one point, she even turned a full 180 degrees as I moved from one side of her to the other. Since that time, she has become a bit less content to just sit in one place: she wants someone to walk around with her, so that she can see what there is to see!
Finally, just in case anyone was wondering whether Joy's dad is quirky or not, and for anyone who doesn't know how hard it is to resist imitating a baby who's making funny faces, see the following picture:

1 comment:

Shelly Anderson said...

I immitate all the goofy baby faces and sounds too. I think it's a compulsion because we don't even have our own kids and I still do it.