Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Smoky Skies

I noticed something kind of odd today.


The sunlight shining on our deck and through our windows looked orange.  The only times I've ever seen that before were back in drought-ridden California, when wildfires were filling the air with brown smoke.


Could there possibly be a wildfire somewhere in green Massachusetts, even though we've gotten so much extra rain this summer that funky mushrooms are popping up in our lawn?


Nope!  I later learned that smoke from some massive West Coast wildfires had drifted all the way across North America to tint our sunlight and fill me with a little reflexive dread.  I thought we left smoky skies behind when we moved east, and it feels kind of surreal to see them again, even though the fires themselves are on the other side of a continent.

No comments: