Wednesday, September 5, 2018

The Abacus and the Catamaran

Todd's preschool starts next Tuesday.  The parents took turns cleaning the school this week and getting everything set up.


I brought Todd along during my cleaning shift, and he was bored and clingy until I found an abacus and showed him how it works.  Forget those little one and ten beads at the bottom--let's work with the hundreds and thousands!


After he got tired of the abacus, Todd found a little friend to do tangram puzzles with while I cleaned the painting easels.  I don't think preschool will advance Todd's prodigious math skills much, but I do hope it will help him develop friendships with kids his own age.


In other news, Daniel competed in his first Cub Scout raingutter regatta last night.  He had zero interest in decorating his boat, so he let Joy decorate the hull and sail, and he handled the racing.  


His mom added a helpful suggestion to the back of the sail: "Apply oxygen here."  Upon reflection, I should have written "Apply carbon dioxide here," but oh well--he got the idea.


Daniel was eliminated in an early heat, which really disappointed him, but after the official race was over he cheered Joy on as she raced their boat against another scout sibling.

No comments: