Thursday, May 31, 2018

A Patriotic Party (and After-Party Party)

The big kids' school threw a thank-you party today for all adults who volunteered this year.


Todd's favorite part was the extensive treat buffet.


My favorite part was when the students performed patriotic songs for their guests.  Here's Daniel accompanying "This Land Is Your Land" on his recorder.


Todd and I arrived at the party a bit late, and as we watched the second graders perform, followed by the third graders, fourth graders, and finally the fifth graders reprising their "Preamble" performance from SCH (my daughter is that demure, well-behaved girl sticking her tongue out in the back row), I had a sinking feeling that I had missed Anna's performance with the first graders.


Sure enough, she was really disappointed that I had missed her musical number, so when she arrived home I asked her to show me what her class did.  She then sang "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" while signing in American Sign Language.  It was fun both to watch and listen to.


And since we were all feeling musical today, Joy decided to see if she could play the notes to accompany Daniel singing "This Land Is Your Land."  She did pretty well, considering that she hadn't practiced beforehand.

No comments: