Wednesday, February 15, 2017

February Blooms

It still feels like winter in Arkansas.


The lawns are still hibernating, most of the trees are still bare, and we sometimes see frost on our neighbor's roof in the mornings, but we're also starting to see signs that winter is nearing its end.


I've mentioned more than once on this blog that I love Chinese magnolia trees, whose elegant pink blooms were among the first flowers to signal the approach of spring in California.  As I was driving through Conway this morning, I was delighted to see a few Chinese magnolias in full bloom.  Before this morning, I hadn't realized there were any of those trees in Arkansas.


I also saw sunny daffodils blooming here and there . . .


. . . and a few hardy wildflowers braving the cold.


I must say, though, my favorite bloom that I saw today was this beautiful red rose on our table.  Phillip and I went out for a nice Valentine's Day dinner last night, and the restaurant gifted a rose to every female patron as they left.  My sweetheart would have given me some flowers, too, but I asked him to let me put the money in my savings jar for a high-tech blender I really want, 'cuz I'm romantic like that (thanks, Honey!).


In other news, as I was driving around town today I spotted this sign promising that there were reclining matadors ahead, but I didn't see any.  How disappointing.

No comments: