Monday, October 31, 2016

Pumpkins, Treats, and a Cheesecloth Ghost

Happy Halloween!


I wanted to make our home look a little festive, so I hung plastic jack-o-lanterns in our tree with electric candles inside, and made a cheesecloth ghost that floated in the breeze (after I adjusted it half a dozen times to keep the cheesecloth from slipping off the wires).


After dinner we carved pumpkins.


Daddy carved a big, bright star on his pumpkin.  Daniel decided it would be extra creepy to carve a single eye in his.  Anna chose a spooky design for her ghostly white pumpkin.  Joy and I each went with our default pumpkin designs. Todd was a little young to be wielding blades (however small), so we left his pumpkin blank so it could grace our porch for a few more weeks.


At trick-or-treat time, Joy was a scientist, Daniel was a cat, Anna was a cat fairy, Todd was a math genius (they look like everyone else).  I wore the same Minnie Mouse ears I wore three years ago when I was waddling around the neighborhood with three trick-or-treaters, hoping the fourth wouldn't be born for at least a few more days.


We returned home an hour later with plenty of treats, and the kids went right to work trading for the ones they liked best.  I have fond memories of doing that with my sibs many moons ago.  I would trade just about anything for a fun-size Snickers bar.

No comments: